.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ontario Technoblog

Ontario Emperor technology blog.

This blog has been superseded by the mrontemp blog
Name:
Location: Ontario, California, United States

Sometime audio artist. Email comments on this blog to the gmail account mrontemp.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

RAC and ASM

This is probably as good a time as any to review two of the caveats that I published when starting this particular blog:

Just because I comment on something doesn't necessarily mean that I know anything about it. In some cases I blog because I want to learn about something that I know nothing about.

Neither my undergraduate nor my graduate degrees are in technological disciplines. For example, my undergraduate degree is in economics. Enough said.


In other words, while I can spell DBA, I end up relying on our company's DBA for explanations of the more technical items.

With these caveats, let me explain that I spent a good part of the last couple of days bringing myself up to speed on Real Application Clusters and Automated Storage Management. I began with Barb Lundhild's presentation on Monday afternoon - here are some of the cryptic notes that I recorded from that presentation:

  • 10gR2 includes cluster verification utility

  • high availability API for your application

  • load balancing advisory

  • Oracle Clusterware - don't need to implement RAC


I also took some notes on Automated Storage Management (ASM) and the need for virtual IPs and node-independent ways of connecting to an application.

As I previously mentioned, I attended the amazon.com presentation at 11:00 on Tuesday. This was given by Grant McAlister, and discussed the use of Oracle Real Application Clusters and Automated Storage Management to enable scaling on Linux with low-cost storage. amazon.com has been transitioning to Linux, and all of their systems now run Linux (and have since 2004). According to McAlister, the use of ASM was a key part of their transition strategy. He discussed various ways of defining diskgroups, recommended the segregation of the data and the flashback area from the other diskgroups.

While I attended the 3:00 panel on RAC/ASM experiences, I didn't have enough of a background to get a lot out of it. Knowledgeable people seemed to like it, however.

Although the main topic wasn't RAC, Gautan Mekala of Dell touched upon RAC in his presentation about transitioning Dell's supply chain management system from the 8.0.6 database to the 10.1.0.4 database. Specifically, he cautioned that if you're going to use RAC, you have to architect your application to take advantage of RAC. The technologies that were employed (Red Hat 3.0 Advanced Server, RAC, ASM, Oracle Data Guard, etc.) allows Dell to manage their production system on Dell computers. Think about the ramifications of this - if someone had told you a couple of decades ago that a PC manufacturer would someday run their business on their own PCs, would you have laughed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home