.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ontario Technoblog

Ontario Emperor technology blog.

This blog has been superseded by the mrontemp blog
Name:
Location: Ontario, California, United States

Sometime audio artist. Email comments on this blog to the gmail account mrontemp.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Power to the People (WM5 Axim and HP rx1955 PDA SD)

Remember my list for Santa? Well, I got my Hewlett Packard rx1955, and a 1 GB SD card to go with it (to hold my WMA files), and was having all sorts of fun...until I couldn't get the unit turned on again. A soft reset did the trick, but was somewhat irritating.

After returning from an out-of-town trip, I figured I'd research this issue to see if I was the only one with an HP rx1955 power-up problem. I wasn't. The problem has apparently existed since the rx1955 was released in October, has been found in non-HP devices running Windows Mobile 5, and there apparently isn't a solution yet. Here are some excerpts from an HP forum (I've only posted a few excerpts - there are almost 200 posts in the thread):

Kevin Weeks
Oct 20, 2005 18:44:13 GMT

I just purchase two iPAQ rx1950's. After they're off for a few hours, we can't turn them back on using the power button. We have to do a soft reset for them to power back on. They seem to both work fine for a few hours, we turn them off and then it happens again and we have to reset. Is there a setting I'm missing that can alleviate this annoying little problem? Thanks in advance.

-------

Peter Oct 26, 2005 16:18:34 GMT Unassigned

I have this problem as well, hadn't seen it before but I left it off last night with SD Card in and recharging and it wouldn't turn on again without a reset. Before this, I'd had it for about a week with no problems - though it was mostly hooked up to a online computer overnight and before I turned it on every other day.

Peter

-------

Melissa Oct 26, 2005 18:55:54 GMT Unassigned

I just recently bought the HP IPAQ RX1955. The problem I am having is that sometimes when I go to turn on my IPAQ it won't turn on, so I need to do a soft restart. I already called HP on this problem and they said this shouldn't be happening. Well I returned it to the store and got another one and now the same problem is occuring again.

I already went into settings and checked off the setting to disable all buttons except the start button when in standby mode and that doesn't seem to help.

I called HP again yesterday regarding this problem and they told me it might be because I have programs running so I went into settings, system tab and then clicked on memory and then went to the tab running programs and click stopped all. Well that doesnt work either. The problem still occured.

I was speaking to others with the same problem and also someone that had the same problem with the 2750 and his suggestion to me was that I take the card out of the ipaq overnight and have it charge. Well that seemed to work and I had no more problems well then I put the card in today and when I checked it after a couple of hours I had the same problem. I did a soft reset and then took the card out and now I am fine. So I think it has something to do with the card being in the ipaq.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem and if so do you know if hp will have a update regarding this or any ideas to resolve my problem.

-------

Nelson Fernandez Nov 16, 2005 15:13:17 GMT Unassigned

it's not just us...

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=100190

-------

Andy Prior Nov 30, 2005 17:39:41 GMT Unassigned

Based on lots of reading about all the models (HP and Dell) that seem to have this kind of issue - the SD card and the ActiveSync problems... My guess is the issue is rooted in the Windows Mobile 5 interrupt model... Something is blocking or not firing when it should. Given that, I'm willing to wait until Christmas... They start screwing with the threading model and don't test enough we will end up with a unit in which the SD card will work but your friggin notifications of tasks/appointments will not fire correctly or THEY will hang the system.
Here's to hoping the ROM fix is a Christmas present!

-------

Ahmed Kamel Dec 6, 2005 13:34:04 GMT Unassigned

Tried to install the driver. At first it seamed to help. Was hoping for a miracle. But alas, Microsoft Strikes Back... For those who have not read the entire thread, this appears to be a WM5 and Active Sync issue. This is not just limited to HP pocket PCs. Add to this the great idea of removing the ability to sync to your PC over the LAN or WiFi, Microsoft has a real winner here. Thank You Uncle Bill... If anyone is reading this at HP, units are being returned left and right. Your losing sales and its costing you a painful amount of money in lost revenues and returns. Fix or demand that this be fixed immediately, and come on guys.. put WiFi sync back in. That's just nuts.

-------

Shaun Goudy Dec 7, 2005 08:39:19 GMT Unassigned

Tried all the suggestions listed here and having some luck, it worked for 10hrs with no problems. Seems that no matter what you do you must remove the SD card if your going to leave the Ipaq off for several hours and not on charge.

Spoke to Hp today and the guy said, "yes, there is a problem". He then said,"if you leave an SD card in ANY ipaq it will drain the battery. This has been known since the Ipaq's first came out." When i asked why there was nothing in the manual he came up with, "they don't come with an SD card so the instructions are not included in the manual". Apparently it's up to the SD makers to tell you that you must not leave a card in an Ipaq.

I thought that i'd try my luck one last time and see if he knew when a fix for this problem, which is not really a problem according to him, would come out. Sometime, he said.

What a joke....It basically came down to this. Yes there is a problem, but it's not a problem and the fix for the problem, which is not really a problem, will come out...evetually.

-------

Donald Heinkel Dec 11, 2005 08:42:30 GMT Unassigned

Joining the thread, hope I can be of some help

I have experienced the same power-related problems that everyone else has reported and have gotten the same replies that everyone else has gotten in terms of calling HP. HP didn't provide me with a date for the patch but told me that it was a known issue and one was coming.

My HP PDA experience is fairly robust as I do all the IT purchasing for my company as we have a number of HP handhelds. I can report that the bug seems to be limited to the Microsoft WM5 operating system. The HP HX2410 with WinCe 2003, that I bought in August 05, doesn't have these problems.

Having now seen the breadth of the fall-out, I have to report that I am preparing to return the 1955 and buy something with the more stable WinCe 2003 OS. New is apparently not better on this occasion. I've very disappointed, but while I am within the timeframe where I can return the unit, you can bet that I am going to rather than live with this and hope that HP or MS gets to it sooner or later. The struggle will be to find a retailer who has a unit that isn't so new that it has WM5.


The thread also includes a number of temporary fixes, some of which didn't turn out to be fixes at all. As you can guess, the one fix that does seem to work is "take out the SD card."

I thought I'd peek at the Dell thread referenced by Nelson Fernandez on November 16. Here's some excerpts from that forum:

10-04-05, 03:27 PM #1

rbg08
Aximsite Major League

X51 not turning on

I wanted to see if this was a problem with all new X51's, or what percentage was experiencing this problem: Sometimes the X51 won't turn on when the power button is pressed, even though the lock switch is not locked.
__________________
Who needs drugs--I have an Axim!

Current setup:
Dell Axim X51v (WM5.0, Hardware Rev. A00, ROM Ver. A04), Vaja Vitelino Green Moss leather case, Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal screen protector, Boxwave Styra stylus, Lexar 1 GB 80x CF, PNY 512 MB SD, Boxwave miniBuds headphones, extra 1100 mAh battery

Previous devices:
Dell Axim X5 Advanced (PPC2002 upgraded to WM2003)
Toshiba e310 (PPC2002)

Last edited by rbg08 : 10-04-05 at 03:29 PM.

-------

10-12-05, 09:27 PM #10

ctitanic
Aximsite All Star

Guys since I applied this hack http://www.tweaks2k2.com/portal/for...6&fromblock=yes
I have not suffered again from this issue. I applied this hack trying to fix the disappearing of my SD card but now I have noticed that I don't have any more this problem. Question to all that reported to have this problem: Do they have a SD Card plugged in the device?
__________________
http://www.Tweaks2K2.com
Home of Tweaks2K2 and more...
Blog: http://x51v.blogspot.com
Tweaks2K2 at 33% OFF for Axim Users

-------

12-28-05, 06:03 PM #426


ShakeyCan
Aximsite Prospect

I've joined this club!

Received my new X51V a few weeks ago. Upgraded the ROM to A04 straight away. Very impressed by the screen and the speed. Received a free 1Gb CF card from Dell so very happy. The next day the troubles started. Wouldn't power on - very strange. Turns out the battery was flat! Hmmm - must have been me. I've had this a couple of times now (including disappearing CF card). The major problem appears to be the battery just completely draining when in suspend. I've read through all these forums and many others and there appears to be a number of "fixes", depending on your device. I haven't sussed it out yet, but I will see how it goes with setting all the AS to manual first. Leaving BT on or popping out the CF card aren't good options IMHO. The other one is to try and power it right down (hold down power button option) and see what happens, but really not a good option either. I've seen theories about it drainign quicker below about 80% charge. Last night mine drained from 100% to zero overnight in suspend mode (lock key on as well). I've had the device on all day with WiFi syncing every 5 mins and it ran fine for about 5 hours before getting below 10% so I don't think this is the case. I'll let you know how Igo.


Well, I figured I'd search Microsoft's knowledge base for Windows Mobile 5. Except that they don't have a knowledge base for Windows Mobile 5. Here are the results of my search of the Windows CE 5.0 knowledge base for "power SD":

There are no documents that match your search for "power SD"

I performed a blog search, and ran into this item from David Sayed:

We all knew that around the corner there would be phones and other devices that natively run Windows Mobile 5 and now the wait is owner. I've been playing with two: the HTC Universal (aka i-mate JasJar) and HTC Tornado (aka i-mate SP5). This entry will focus on the SP5....

Physically the device is nice. It is the right size (not much larger than the SP3i or a Sony Ericsson T610) and just right for a phone. There are plenty of genuinely useful keys: one that brings up the Comm Manager menu (turn on or off Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, IR and start a sync). I've heard complaints about the power button, but am finding it fine....

Onboard memory isn't very generous at just 64MB ROM and 64MB RAM. Once you've synced email, appointments and have loaded a few programs, you're done. So that's where the memory expansion through a mini-SD card comes in. This card is located under the battery, so I will be shopping for a 1GB mini-SD card (less than $100) and will try to store email and programs on it....


Wonder how the power button will work after the SD card is installed? Perhaps it will; one post claims that this only happens to some Windows Mobile 5 devices:

There have been several posts in various forums about Windows Mobile 5 devices needing a soft reset to turn on. I know this isn't a WM5 issue in particular because it isn't all devices. Neither my K-Jam or JasJar have this problem. I have heard it reported about some Dell and HP devices though. Have you experienced this?

Yes I have...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home