.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Ontario Technoblog

Ontario Emperor technology blog.

This blog has been superseded by the mrontemp blog
Name:
Location: Ontario, California, United States

Sometime audio artist. Email comments on this blog to the gmail account mrontemp.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Smartphone Sound (Motorola Q, Windows Media Player)

I seem to be running into the PDA problem of the month every once in a while. Fortunately, this one had a happy ending - at least for me.

I got a Motorola Q phone a few weeks ago, and have in the whole been very happy with it. It syncs to my work email fairly well, plus it has the Bubble Breaker game - what more could you ask for?

Over the last few weeks, I've downloaded a small bit of music ("Non Sequitur 15" plus a few MIDIs) to my Q phone for my occasional enjoyment. I also used the Q features to record a video, with sound, for my additional enjoyment. (I have to write about the Q's video recording features, and compatibility issues, later.)

Well, today I wanted to listen to the sound from my MIDIs and my mp3, but no sound came out.

I tried playing the video that I made at work, but no sound came out from there, either.

Figuring that this might just be a Windows Media Player problem, I tried turning on the sound in Bubble Breaker. No sound there.

As a fourth test, I retested the alarm feature. Got sounds on the alarm, so it sounded more and more like some type of OS issue.

After a bunch of research, I finally found something that worked in the "Problem with Q Sound" thread at pdaphonehome.com. First, the original problem, as stated by Tizzle on July 23:


Problem with Q Sound

My Q was working perfecly up until the last few days. I can't for some reason get my Q to play any sounds (Player 10 or in the settings) except... when a call comes in, email all that works fine. But if i go to the settings and try to change the ring tone i can't preview the sounds it just will not play. NOW the funny part is if i hook up my bluetooth ear piece everything works just fine. I have searched and can't seam to find anything that could be doing this, Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?



There were a myriad of suggestions, ranging from checking your profile settings to performing a hard reset, but the solution that worked for me came from Noah82:


When you are on the home screen, hold down the jog dial button until you see "Earpiece Volume". Then, you should be able to move the jog dial up and you will have sound again


I did this, and now I can again hear "Non Sequitur 15" in all its glory. (Take that, Paul Vincent Avila.)

(By the way, I'm full throttle on del.icio.us now. Related tags include cellular+telephone and windows+media+player.)

36 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. Solved my problem also.

16:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Solve mine too in SF, CA.

19:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Worked for my Blackjack as well. Thanks!

05:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG thank you!!! you just solved a major headache!!! ty ty ty!!!!

20:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the Good synchronization software, so I had to go to PROFILE/HEADSET, then push and adjust volume. After the audio kicked on, then I had control of volume at Windows Media. Crazy. Thanks for the tip!

10:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much i know ts been said before. ive been trying to fix the sound for some time now and really did not want to ard reset. TOTALLY AMAZING. thanks for the help Pete

08:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU so much. Have had this problem for 2 months and finally took the time to Google it and immediatly found your posting. Things are not usually so easy to fix! Thanks.

20:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joining the club:

This was problem was driving me crazy... Especially since my Alarm failed to play a sound at a major business event recently.

Then I read this page (after a Google Search for ["Motorola Q" "sound problem"]

Thank you for the post! Worked like a charm. What a silly interface. I've been very disappointed with Windows Mobile 5 on this particular smartphone...

Best to all!

23:51  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a God Send this post has been. Thank You!!! I was ready to take a trip to the Sprint Repair store before I found your post/answer. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!

03:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heads up... this worked on my Q as well...thanks

17:40  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH...i was uninstalling a bunch of stuff *sigh

10:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks !!! I was ready in reinstall Windows Mobile!!

13:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This worked great for me, too- thanks!

07:22  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks for the great post, I can hear sound now.

10:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post. I was ready to throw this Q against the wall!!!!!

23:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot believe it was that easy

after 1 week in vegas, 4 hours in flight and no radio from my phone


THank you

22:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! I thought I had checked every setting possible on the phone... stupid windows mobile.

12:53  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh. You and the other guy are a miracle worker haha thanks a bunch! :D

14:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks!!!!

22:02  
Blogger Scott A. said...

I haven't tried this yet, but I will as soon as I get my phone! (I left in a hurry and left it at home on the charger).
I have been trying to solve this for about 3 months now. It has been an intermittent problem. Work one day and not the next.

AWESOME!!

07:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks a bunch man..! I had on long a flight from Chicago and the freakin sound wouldnt run..! Its working now..!

H in Md.

17:37  
Blogger KCStymie said...

Add me to the list of people you have helped with solving the problem. This is the dumbest thing but at least I can get it to work now.

12:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thx alot, I feel so dumb!

15:09  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

as all other have said - thanks!

17:20  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMGGG THANK YOU SO MUCH !! I CALLED VERIZON TRYING TO GET SOME HELP && THEY WERE TRYING TO GET ME TO BUY A NEW PHONE/RESET MY PHONEEEE!! . . THANKS AGAIN !! =]

17:45  
Blogger omniasoft said...

Google search for "motorola q sounds wont play" dropped me on your page (first search result). The solution works.

Thanks,

AG

22:57  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks..for all those who dont know what the jog dial button is..it is the wheel on the side of the Q..worked like a charm thanks.

17:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow thanks so much, i've been having this problem but it was so simple

23:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to say thanks because this solved my problem as well. I thought I was going to have to buy another phone to replace this one until I decided to google to see if there was something on the web to help me figure this problem out. I would like to thank you so much because it worked like a lucky charm. God Bless!

13:52  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the fix... I havent had sound from my Q in months until I read the fix on your site.

Thanks!

06:53  
Blogger ashish said...

wow!!!!!!!
This one was really not mentioned anywhere.Thanxx

06:10  
Blogger ashish said...

wow!!!!
was looking for this stuff only..
thanxxx a lot.

06:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this post saved my life haha

22:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...may the music be with you!! ♫ Thanks!!! ♫

12:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...may the music be with you!! ♫ Thanks!!! ♫

12:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You Soo Much!! Was almost about to give up on my motorola q9m until i saw this post!

11:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home